Monday 23 March 2015



Estee Lauder is a brand I knew of but only really discovered about 7 years ago. I had taken a part time job in Debenhams, Ayr and was in need of some foundation. As I was working there I had overcome my fear of talking to the girls who worked on all the beauty counters and asked their advice on the best foundation on the market. Thats when I discovered Double Wear Stay-in Place Makeup. 

I started off with the liquid foundation, quickly followed by the powder and then added the concealer to my make up bag too. I still use at least one to all of these products on a daily basis. 
 

I have tried various makeup and skincare from the brand and whilst I have like most of the products the other favourite which has stuck with me for years now is Daywear Creme. I love this face cream. Its not greasy, it absorbs easily and smells amazing. 


I suppose thats enough about me and onto the topic in hand - how have Estee Lauder incorporated digital marketing into their business? 

I was unaware just how big the Lauder company was. I recognised it as just a
single beauty house, but founded in 1946 with a product range of 4 cosmetic items, Estee Lauder created a company which has grown its portfolio to include over 30 brands from high end to high st. Cosmetic names such as Lancome, Clinique, Aveda and Bobbi Brown to skincare giants Darphin and the much coveted La Mer. 

#LittleBlackPrimer

Lauder's most recent campaign targeted a new generation of Lauder women by incorporating the recent appointment of Kendall Jenner, the current brand ambassador.   

“Kendall represents the teen-gone-sophisticate of all things cool, including black eyeliner and smoky eyes. (Stacy DeBroff, CEO/founder of Influence Central, Newton, MA).

Black Primer is an eyelash product and Jenner can be seen in the promo video by clicking the link below. 


As well as appearing in printed, televised and digital advertisements,  Kendall created branded social media content for her own channels and Estée Lauder’s. As a “breakout star” in fashion, it is anticipated by the company that she will draw attention from younger consumers capturing a new market for Estee Lauder. Within the first two hours of the video launch over 230,000 'likes' had been generated on her media channel.

We are all aware of how Jenner and her family work social media to their benefit and I feel this could have been the deal breaker when they were appointing their new ambassador. Any one using any aspect of social media will constantly see their news feeds filled with pictures and news of the family several times a day whether you like it or not! Taking into account the social media-savvy of the campaign star, the hashtag #LittleBlackPrimer is being used at a level sure to be pleasing those in charge at Lauder.
From the YouTube page a “Learn More” link can be clicked taking the consumer to the Little Black Primer product page on Estée Lauder’s Web site. Potential consumers can learn more about the primer by not only the web information but by reading user generated content with #LittleBlackPrimer. User images and reviews are posted frequently allowing audiences to see how real women use the product. 
Important factors when its comes to a brand having an edge over others are online reviews, search visibility and distribution.  Estée Lauder has smartly played on teens and young 20-somethings being mesmerised by Kendall’s trendy transformation to the latest make-up wielding reality star darling of the Kardashian clan.”

No comments:

Post a Comment